Monday, January 17, 2011

weekend in Florence and Pisa

NE view from atop Michelangelo Square

Over the last weekend most of the group and me went on a trip north to Florence, although we were still in Italy, there is a fine divide from the north and the south. But the experience was well worth it; the sights, scenery, people, and the food were all different. But I think we can all agree there was a whole bunch of walking.

Asian food!

This was more than just finally being able to give me my Asian food fix that I've been missing back home. This also showed the established Chinese community here in Florence, as they are able to open businesses. Other races were also noticeable as the diversity was spread throughout the city. Comparing to Rome, as it is a very Italian City.

The Duomo

This was one of the sights I saw the first night, this thing is huge. There is no way I could of put this in one picture. The history behind this is incredible and the catacombs under it were also just as interesting.

Meat section of the Mercato Centrale

This market was filled with tons of selections of meats, seafood, fruits, vegetables, and Asian products! I'm pretty big on asian products because I miss these things from back home.

Locks of Love on the Ponte Vecchio

I thought this was pretty interesting how couples will "lock" their love with these locks and then throw the key into the river. If you wikipedia "love locks" this is a global phenomena.

Original Statue of David in the Accademia Gallery
All over Florence there are replicas of infamous statues, and the originals were put into places were you were charged to see. On top of that you couldn't even take pictures. This picture was taken as I was seating down and put my camera by my foot. I did not know how good it turned out till after I left the Accademia. I'm very happy with the results.

Sunset in Pisa
 Also on this trip we took a train over to Pisa to check out the tower and on the way there I was able to catch the sunset. Over at the tower, it was something else; everyone there was taking a picture of them either holding the tower up or pushing it over... very, very original. I went a different route and got pizza. I don't know if pizza originated from Pisa but they sound very similar .

Leaning Tower of Pisa
All in all, I had a great weekend trip away from Rome, but am glad to be back. There are other things we did while in Florence that aren't on here but pretty much we did every sight they had to offer and in some places we couldn't take pictures of.

No comments:

Post a Comment