Monday, January 17, 2011

blog assignment #1

I accidently deleted this post, so I'm reposting it.

Rome is a city, which is rich in culture and history. Traveling here I had that in mind but I didn’t know the intensity of it all. My first impression of the city is that it is very Italian with little outside influences. As for the youth culture here, it is very open to discussion. The definition of youth comes from my American ideology where there’s an age limit to the ability of what an individual can do, thus classifying them as youth, as they are not adults yet. Being here I’ve noticed a difference, there isn’t an age restriction.

google image

On a weekend night, after the market has cleared out, Campo de `Fiori gets filled with another crowd. The various restaurants, bars, and shopping, regardless of age, everyone is attracted to the nightlife here. The youth is very predominate, congregating in large numbers as they are drinking and smoking in the Campo. When I compare this to back home, I can’t think of any place where the youth culture could do this, given drinking publicly isn’t allowed. Drinking here compared to the states is different as well, getting drunk isn’t the objective, it is very casual. This probably has a lot to do with the upbringings of the Italians. This is only my first week here and I know I have a lot more to learn and see, so my views are subjected to change

No comments:

Post a Comment